Knowing Darkness - Artist Inspired by SK

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Knowing Darkness - Artist Inspired by SK

Post by TheCollector »

Post some of the traycase edition photos when you get them!
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I doubt I'll be able to--all I have is a legal-sized scanner, and the book is much too large for that!

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Foiled again! :lol: I'm sure someone else will post them up!
fleggett

Post by fleggett »

For anyone interested, Jerad sent me a batch of pics of the traycased edition, which I've posted to the front page of my website. I drool uncontrollably every time I look at them. The traycase alone is a work of art. Enjoy!
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

I ordered one of the slightly dented from Jerad and thought I would share the great job USPS did:

Fortunately, the huge hole was above the book; and the dent isn't really all that noticable:

I hadn't realized it was bigger than the S/L Salem's Lot. And absolutely stunning. I had forgotten a lot of the art.
fleggett

Post by fleggett »

I purchased a signed copy and I have to say I was not AT ALL prepared for what came in the mail. This thing is an absolutely monstrous beast. I haven't weighed it yet, but I consider myself pretty fit and even I was having trouble with its sheer mass and volume.

I reviewed the Lovecraft book on my website and one of my complaints was that the traycase for the uber-deluxe version was rather plain from a design standpoint, with just a paste-on label on the spine. That was resolved and then some for the traycase for KD, with full-color imagery adorning and identifying the contents within. Bravo.

The separate book of prints also slides into the traycase in a very clever way, the likes of which I've not seen before.

See, this is the sort of stuff I wish small press publishers would do. This is OUTSTANDING work. Yeah, the price is up there, but you actually get what you pay for (IMO) instead of paying hundreds of dollars for a text-only book that can barely be called a novella.

A review is forthcoming, but it'll take me awhile due to just how difficult it is to manhandle this colossus.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Just curious, do you have any idea how you're going to display this thing? Mine is still in its shipping box on the floor. I just have no idea on how to properly display it.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

bookslipcase.com made a one off case for one of these that hangs on the wall (you're responsible for making sure it's drilled into a stud). Here's a pic.

If people are interested I can ask about pricing and if MULTIPLE people are interested I can see if these can get produced at a discount like the UTD cases.

Let me know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I may be interested, depending on price, however.

John
fleggett

Post by fleggett »

jhanic wrote:Just curious, do you have any idea how you're going to display this thing? Mine is still in its shipping box on the floor. I just have no idea on how to properly display it.
You've really got to take it out and just manhandle it one day. It deserves the fresh air.

Until I saw the one-off that Tomas posted, I was just planning on sticking it on a shelf. Sounds rather ignominious, I know, but it's just so huge that I didn't see any other choice. That and I'm pretty cramped for real-estate.

Brodarting it is going to be an absolute, total, and utter 110% bitch. I will say that Lovecraft's saving grace in this regard is that it came with a dustjacket (the non-uber-deluxe editions), but KD is paper over boards. Brodarting standard-size naked books is a pain, but this...I dunno. I probably shouldn't even consider it, as I try not to break the spines on the books I cover, but when covering naked books it becomes a hundred times more difficult since you're fooling around with the book itself and not just the dustjacket.