Anniversary editions annouced by Cemetery Dance

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
jsweet

Re: Anniversary editions annouced by Cemetery Dance

Post by jsweet »

BrianJamesFreeman wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:I concur, I have the PS Editions and the SP Shining. I also have Salem's Lot numbered and gift. So why all the overlapping. I am afraid this is beginning to look like the sportcards of the late 80's early 90's.
My guess is that you're not going to see a lot of overlap in the future, although there has been more of the US vs UK special edition overlap these last few years because they're two different rights markets and Steve's UK publisher has been dabbling in their own special editions.

This Doubleday Years set is something we've wanted to make happen for a very long time, and the only way for it to be a complete set of the Doubleday titles was for there to be some overlap in terms of titles that already had Limited Editions.

We're not trying to replace the previous (and beautiful!) editions of The Stand or The Shining, and we're not battling it out with PS Publishing over Carrie or Pet Sematary. (Pete will tell you that we're his biggest fans!)

But we've always wanted to produce our own special editions of these very important books, which launched Steve's career into the stratosphere, and we hope the collectors who do buy them are pleased with the presentation/production values we have planned.

Brian Freeman
Cemetery Dance Publications
That makes some sense. I like the idea of a set that looks the same. I just wish I hadn't spent the money on the SP and PS ones up to this point :P
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Brian, thanks for taking to time to post here. I know you spend a lot of time at the DT.org also and comments form you and your team are always appreciated.

I agree, I think doing the Doubleday books is a great deal, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the complete set as CD's quality is always top notch. I don't see you guys competing with PS either, as they just don't seem to have the same quality as CD.

For me, as I mentioned before, the gift editions appeal for the stories I don't already have special copies of, and so at some stage I know I'll be adding some of these to my collection.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

BrianJamesFreeman wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:I concur, I have the PS Editions and the SP Shining. I also have Salem's Lot numbered and gift. So why all the overlapping. I am afraid this is beginning to look like the sportcards of the late 80's early 90's.
My guess is that you're not going to see a lot of overlap in the future, although there has been more of the US vs UK special edition overlap these last few years because they're two different rights markets and Steve's UK publisher has been dabbling in their own special editions.

This Doubleday Years set is something we've wanted to make happen for a very long time, and the only way for it to be a complete set of the Doubleday titles was for there to be some overlap in terms of titles that already had Limited Editions.

We're not trying to replace the previous (and beautiful!) editions of The Stand or The Shining, and we're not battling it out with PS Publishing over Carrie or Pet Sematary. (Pete will tell you that we're his biggest fans!)

But we've always wanted to produce our own special editions of these very important books, which launched Steve's career into the stratosphere, and we hope the collectors who do buy them are pleased with the presentation/production values we have planned.

Brian Freeman
Thank you Brian for addressing my 'Too many books overlapping' concern.

I totally get why you want to do the Doubleday books, they are special to me as well. I plan on getting the set of six CD is publishing.

My wife and I are huge CD fans and Suzanne loves Mindy!
Keep making beautiful books!

Thanks again,
Foster
jcf817

Post by jcf817 »

BrianJamesFreeman wrote:
jcf817 wrote:I never said this wasn't selling out fast. I stand by my statements.
jcf817 wrote:The main reason I'm disillusioned is that everything is a 'HUGE announcement' and 'selling out fast'...even when it's not.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but please don't say you didn't say something... that you said on the previous page! ;)

Brian
And you're entitled to your misunderstanding of what I wrote. It does not, however, make you correct.

I can't help it if you can't tell the difference between a general and a specific statement. I'd appreciate it if you stop mis-representing what I wrote.

Look...I've pre-ordered and bought from CD in the past. I even returned to you a S/L copy of IT that was sent to me by mistake (I ordered a gift edition). I've always been happy with the quality of the books I've ordered. I have my reasons for my general distaste, which I stated clearly enough and which have now been blown out of proportion.

Congrats on this exciting project.
BrianJamesFreeman

Post by BrianJamesFreeman »

jcf817 wrote:And you're entitled to your misunderstanding of what I wrote. It does not, however, make you correct.
Well, if there's ever been a truer statement posted to an Internet forum, I can't think of what it might be. ;)

Anyway, hopefully the next King project will be more to your expectations and thanks for the past support!

Brian Freeman
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

jcf817 wrote:The main reason I'm disillusioned is that everything is a 'HUGE announcement' and 'selling out fast'...even when it's not. They certainly know how to use Stephen King's name to their advantage. Everything that can be even considered tangentially related to SK is a 'big deal'.

The prices have gone beyond my range, so it will have to be something I consider particularly special to me (such as IT) for me to even consider it. I might consider The Stand from this series, but that's probably the only one.
Your first comment about the "Huge announcement" and "selling out fast event when it's not" bothers me--it IS a huge announcement and today, as we speak, four days later, 90% of the edition is sold means it IS selling out fast. Is it capitalizing on King's name? Sure, but these ARE editions of King's books.

The disrespect to Cd implied by your comment is not proper. Just my two cents worth.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

And on a lighter note...welcome to the forums Brian! Not nearly as big as our fellows over at tdt but clearly a passionate bunch!
BrianJamesFreeman

Post by BrianJamesFreeman »

TheCollector wrote:And on a lighter note...welcome to the forums Brian! Not nearly as big as our fellows over at tdt but clearly a passionate bunch!
Thanks! Passion for books is a great thing!

Brian
jcf817

Post by jcf817 »

jhanic wrote:
jcf817 wrote:The main reason I'm disillusioned is that everything is a 'HUGE announcement' and 'selling out fast'...even when it's not. They certainly know how to use Stephen King's name to their advantage. Everything that can be even considered tangentially related to SK is a 'big deal'.

The prices have gone beyond my range, so it will have to be something I consider particularly special to me (such as IT) for me to even consider it. I might consider The Stand from this series, but that's probably the only one.
Your first comment about the "Huge announcement" and "selling out fast event when it's not" bothers me--it IS a huge announcement and today, as we speak, four days later, 90% of the edition is sold means it IS selling out fast. Is it capitalizing on King's name? Sure, but these ARE editions of King's books.

The disrespect to Cd implied by your comment is not proper. Just my two cents worth.

John
If you can find where I ever said that THIS PROJECT is not a huge announcement or that THIS PROJECT is not selling out fast, I will retract everything I've said. Since I have never thought or felt that, I know that I would never have written it. And I'm clearly not the only one who feels the way I do. Even you said you thought these are overpriced.

Everything I have written is my opinion, and I assumed it was understood as such. As a SK fan for 30 years (I'm only 40 y/o), I have my opinions. If they are not welcome here, I'm sure I can find less uptight people with which to share my opinion on other message boards. And yes, I realize I'm coming across as uptight myself, but it's MY words that are being misrepresented in this conversation.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

If you can find where I ever said that THIS PROJECT is not a huge announcement or that THIS PROJECT is not selling out fast, I will retract everything I've said
Um,
The main reason I'm disillusioned is that everything is a 'HUGE announcement' and 'selling out fast'...even when it's not