Anniversary editions annouced by Cemetery Dance

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
Frankie

Re: Anniversary editions annouced by Cemetery Dance

Post by Frankie »

I wonder how many people charged $1000 on their credit card before realizing the book wasn't signed by King. With how quickly the "real" lettered editions sell out and therefore being tempted to get your order in ASAP, I would guess the answer isn't zero.

Personally I think it's silly. I don't see a book that isn't a first edition and isn't signed by King holding that kind of value, numbered/lettered edition or not. The prices asked for these numbered and lettered editions are such a significant portion of the King signed numbered and lettered editions, it just doesn't make sense to me.
jsweet

Post by jsweet »

Yeah, I was a little underwhelmed by the announcement, as I was hoping at least for a King signed edition of something. The whole thing was a little weird in that we already have the PS Publishing editions, the SP edition of The Shining, etc. I felt like been there, done that.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

I've passed on these. I was actually releived when I saw none were signed by him, as I couldn't really afford another signed limited right now.

I think I will look to pick up the basic gift editions of Carrie, Night Shift and Pet Sematery on the secondary market (hoping they will be cheaper then) as I don't have nice gift or signed editions of those already. I don't think the artist or lettered editions were worth it to me.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

jimimck wrote:I've passed on these. I was actually releived when I saw none were signed by him, as I couldn't really afford another signed limited right now.

I think I will look to pick up the basic gift editions of Carrie, Night Shift and Pet Sematery on the secondary market (hoping they will be cheaper then) as I don't have nice gift or signed editions of those already. I don't think the artist or lettered editions were worth it to me.
My feelings exactly, James. Except I may not even pick them up on the secondary market.

John
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

What I have found interesting though is that if I assume that the quality of the artist edition and lettered editions is equal to that of what CD put out for true signed King editions, the cost of adding Kings Signature is rather high.

Now of course I doubt the cost of Kings signature is the full difference in cost, but then that just says CD sure to have a good margin included when they sell King signed limiteds for $450/$2500.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

jimimck wrote:What I have found interesting though is that if I assume that the quality of the artist edition and lettered editions is equal to that of what CD put out for true signed King editions, the cost of adding Kings Signature is rather high.

Now of course I doubt the cost of Kings signature is the full difference in cost, but then that just says CD sure to have a good margin included when they sell King signed limiteds for $450/$2500.
If Titan Press can issue a S/L of 724 copies for $75 with King's signature and still make a profit on it, then King's sig just can't be very expensive addition to the overall cost of the book

I think CD has been upping issue prices of S/L over the years because they've seen what happens to the books on the secondary market and know that collectors will pay more than the old issue prices of $250-$350, which helps their profits. And they're right, we do pay the price regardless of whether it's $75 or $475.

Sure you can argue about the quality of the books and the production values (and IT was one of the nicest limited editions out there in my opinion) but at the end of the day what you can't argue about is that that The S/L of IT, even though it was about 6 times more expensive but sold out just as fast as Joyland which was six times cheaper. Publisher's aren't deaf, dumb, and blind. They know that regardless of what they decide to set the price to, a book with King's signature will sell out ASAP.

Just to clarify, I don't think there's anything wrong with adding to your profit margin, especially on a discretionary item. That's what drives the American economy.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

jsweet wrote:Yeah, I was a little underwhelmed by the announcement, as I was hoping at least for a King signed edition of something. The whole thing was a little weird in that we already have the PS Publishing editions, the SP edition of The Shining, etc. I felt like been there, done that.

I concur, I have the PS Editions and the SP Shining. I also have Salem's Lot numbered and gift. So why all the overlapping. I am afraid this is beginning to look like the sportcards of the late 80's early 90's.

That said yesterday I ordered 2 traycase numbered. I think $225 was fair for a tray cased/numbered edition. With no SK signature I couldn't justify a lettered copy.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

Hummm.... just thinking maybe that is why SK isn't signing the CD series and why PS was a facsimile signature.

There are already numbered/signed editions done for Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

TrueNorth wrote:Hummm.... just thinking maybe that is why SK isn't signing the CD series and why PS was a facsimile signature.

There are already numbered/signed editions done for Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand.
That's very interesting, I never thought about that!
jcf817

Post by jcf817 »

The main reason I'm disillusioned is that everything is a 'HUGE announcement' and 'selling out fast'...even when it's not. They certainly know how to use Stephen King's name to their advantage. Everything that can be even considered tangentially related to SK is a 'big deal'.

The prices have gone beyond my range, so it will have to be something I consider particularly special to me (such as IT) for me to even consider it. I might consider The Stand from this series, but that's probably the only one.